Thursday, February 12, 2009

"Breaking Wind"

I just received a text message with the heading, "Misfortune Letter Broadcasting" (재난문자방송). Not wanting to translate the rest of it, I asked a coworker what it meant. She replied that it warned to be careful of strong winds in the area. No kidding.

I woke up this morning to a loud whistling and banging noise as the wind rattled my apartment. I tried to open my sliding door onto my balcony to feel what the wind was like, but the pressure was too strong at first. I had to give a hard tug on the door before it would break free and I was whooshed aside by a forceful gale. I heard a banging coming from inside my place and found the source of it. It turns out there must be a rather large hole somewhere above because half of the ceiling of my bathroom had actually lifted free from the frame and was slamming against it as the wind bucked.

I think Typhoon season is approaching.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My mom told me a story once, of a typhoon so strong that it bent the beam of a flashlight. At this age, it seems improbable.